The Links To Fashion—How To Dress Like Your Favorite Golf Pro
- March 30, 2016 |
- By CA Editors
In April's Cigar Aficionado, which features Jeremy Piven on the cover, we examine the relationship between golf attire and fashion. This supplement will help you dress like your favorite pro, and just might boost your golf game (but we're not making any promises).
The world of golf has long been associated with fashion. From regal ensembles such as knee-length flannel breeches and full tweed suits to more daring outfits of striped polyester pants and plaid polos, the sport has seen its fair share of trends come and go. Who can forget the confidence Arnold Palmer exuded in his casual-cool khaki, knitted golf shirt and cardigan combination? Or the explosively colorful argyles of Jack Nicklaus and the designer threads and signature straw hat Greg Norman favored?
In recent years, golf clothing has become increasingly athletic with closer fits and crisper cuts, while still respecting fashion. Today's professional golfers want to look good on the course, but don't necessarily wish to sacrifice performance for looks. This means materials that fit snug but stretch adequately while wicking moisture away from the body to keep one cool in warmer weather, or warm in cooler temperatures.
Read on to discover where you can purchase the fashionable, but performance-friendly threads that the pros prefer.
Rickie Fowler (sponsored by Puma)
1) Cat Patch 2.0 Snapback Golf Hat - This flat brimmed hat is adjustable and the interior sweatband wicks away moisture.
2) PWRCool Patternblock Golf Polo - The inner print of this shirt activates with moisture to help keep you cool, and dryCELL technology wicks away sweat. It also offers UV protection up to UPF 40.
3) Highlight Fitted Golf Belt - 100 percent leather strap that shows off a shiny silver metal buckle that's removable.
4) Six Pocket Golf Pants - With plenty of pockets to keep all your things (wallet, tees, scorecard) organized, these pants protect from the sun (UPF 50) and dryCELL fabric keeps you cool and dry.
5) Titantour Ignite Golf Shoes - Utilizing Puma's most innovative running technologies to provide outstanding support and comfort, this shoe is lightweight and lined with PWRCOOL technology to keep your feet cool.
Billy Horschel (sponsored by RLX Ralph Lauren)
1) Tailored-Fit Jacquard Polo - Supremely lightweight and breathable, this snug shirt wicks away moisture and stretches with you throughout your swing.
2) Greens Pant - Infused with stretch to move with you, these pants are bold in style and come in either a Printed or Gingham version.
3) Webbed-Nylon Belt - Workwear-inspired style belt that adjusts via a slider buckle.
4) FootJoy ICON Shield Tips - A throwback in style only, these shoes utilize modern innovations such as dual OptiFlex zones, memory foam and a torque bar to keep you balanced and comfortable.
Jordan Spieth (sponsored by Under Armour)
1) Tour Cap - The inner HeatGear sweatband wicks sweat away to keep you cool while the lightweight fabric offers breathability and is fast-drying.
2) HeatGear ArmourVent Tips - Superior wicking capability, mobility and comfort are the hallmarks of this light, breathable piece. The fabric has also been treated with an anti-odor technology.
3) Webbed Belt - This simple belt features a buckle with a bottle opener on the back.
4) Match Play Straight Leg Pant - A fuller cut means these pants stay relatively loose while the stretch-engineered waistband ensures they don't interfere with your swing. Lightweight nylon/polyester/elastane fabric wicks moisture away and keeps you cool.
5) Drive One Golf Shoes - The carbon fiber heel locks you in to help stabilize you throughout your swing and the dual-density sockliner forms to your foot shape for superior comfort.
Rory McIlroy (sponsored by Nike)
1) Legacy 91 Tour Mesh Hat - The mesh panels on this cap enhance breathability, and cushioned FlexFit headband boosts comfort.
2) MM Fly Blade Top - The minimalistic design of the collar means this shirt is snug, but comfortable, and the set-in sleeves and ergonomic seams enhance mobility.
3) No-Hole Plaque Belt - Made from 100 percent leather, the lack of holes gives this belt a crisp, neat look.
4) TW Adaptive Fit - Interior grip tape in waist keeps pants in place when you move while perforations in the back yoke and knee enhance breathability. The Dri-FIT fabric keeps you dry and comfortable.