Just when you thought Jason Voorhees, the fictional villain from the Friday the 13th horror movie franchise, was finally dead, he's back. Not for yet another film sequel, but instead as the newest installment in Pete Johnson's Tatuaje Monster Series. And only 13 "unlucky" cigar shops will receive the first shipment this week.
The sixth cigar in Tatuaje's popular Monster Series, JV13 (otherwise known as Jason) is a plump double corona measuring 7 1/2 inches by 52 ring gauge. The blend is a variation of Tatuaje's Avion and Fausto cigar lines, as it uses a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper to cover an all-Nicaraguan double binder and filler. The cigar, which has a suggested retail price of $13, was rolled by the Garcia family at their My Father Cigars factory in Estelí, Nicaragua.
Like previous Monster releases, Johnson has created special packaging for the JV13. The lids of the white coffin boxes (which are individually numbered) have been dotted with black paint to create the image of Voorhees' signature hockey goalie mask, with red paint used for eyebrows and cheekbones, as well as a number "6" on the mask's forehead. (Interestingly, Voorhees' mask, one of the most recognizable images in pop culture, didn't appear until Friday the 13th: Part III.)
Johnson says he is shipping 403 of the special coffins, which hold 13 cigars, this week to the 13 retailers that were chosen by lottery (see list below). After October 13, Johnson will ship 263 more of the special coffins (a total of 666) to the rest of Tatuaje's retailers.
To help retailers meet demand, Johnson has also made 4,500 plain, 10-count dress boxes, making JV13 the largest ever Monster Series release. The 13 unlucky retailers will receive an allocation of these plain boxes this week, too, while the other Tatuaje retailers will receive theirs after October 13. Johnson says shops in Germany and The Netherlands will also be shipped a share of JV13 from the 4,500 plain boxes.
The 13 unlucky retailers receiving shipments this week are:
- Buttheads Tobacco Emporium, Danbury, Connecticut
- Prime Cigar and Wine Bar, Boca Raton, Florida
- Town & Country Cigar Bar, Euless, Texas
- Havana House, Akron, Ohio
- Fine Ash Cigars, Avondale, Arizona
- Union Cigar Society, Seattle, Washington
- Liberty Tobacco, San Diego, California
- Atlantic Cigar Co., Folcroft, Pennsylvania
- Don Francisco Cigars, East Brunswick, New Jersey
- Humidor Pipe Shop, Huntsville, Alabama
- Tobacco Shoppe of Midland, Midland, Michigan
- Cigar Masters, Boston, Massachusetts
- Leesburg Cigar and Pipe, Leesburg, Virginia