FDA Premium Cigar Comment Period Officially Begins Today
- March 26, 2018 |
- By Andrew Nagy
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced last week that it is reconsidering its premium cigar regulations, and today the commenting period for the public to voice their opinions on the issue officially opened.
This morning, the FDA’s advance notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) on premium cigars was published in the Federal Register. This means cigar enthusiasts have until June 25 to submit a comment or scientific data to help inform the agency’s regulatory decision-making regarding premium cigars.
If you are interested in submitting a comment, you may do so by clicking here.
The agency is looking for comments and data on topics that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The definition of “premium” cigars;
- Use patterns of “premium” cigars generally and among youth and young adults specifically;
- Public health considerations associated with “premium” cigars, including the health effects;
- Studies or information regarding consumer perceptions of the health risks of “premium” cigars; and
- Studies or information on whether any applicable manufacturing, marketing, sale, distribution, advertising, labeling, and/or packaging requirements and restrictions should be applied differently to “premium” cigars compared to other tobacco products, including other cigars.